What is it about?
Alex Langley (author) gives us info on eight different nerdy things that we could make a profit on. Things such as video (filming and editing), cosplay, blogging, crafting, gaming, podcasting, writing and art and comics can go from being a hobby to being a lucrative career if you want it to be. Make A Nerdy Living is the perfect book if you want to level up your nerdy career.
- Alex Langely gives great advice on making nerdy hobbies into careers. I personally liked the chapters about blogging and writing.
- There are eight nerdy hobbies mentioned in this book, so there is something for everyone.
- Each chapter has words from working nerds, which are interviews with people who work in the fields that are mentioned in the book. I found these helpful and fun because these people share their stories and things they’ve learned since starting their careers.
- The author’s voice – the writing- is very friendly and informative. It’s very easy to read, no huge words or unfamiliar jargon. You know exactly what he’s talking about.
- There is a chapter on how to bring your (nerdy) interests to your conventional job. I like that he included this chapter because not everyone is able to – or may not want to- make a career out of their (nerdy) interests.
- I feel that this book gives realistic advice. Langley talks about how long it could take to gain a following or make money off the nerdy career of your choice. He also warns readers about the different kinds of scams, and shady business deals. You never want to work really hard just to be scammed out of your time and money.
- The pictures and some of the formatting of the book is very comic book-esk, which makes it enjoyable.
All in all, I really enjoyed this book. I would recommend it to anyone who’s thinking about making their hobbies lucrative or just use it as a side hustle. What are you doing? Go get your hands on this amazing book and read it!
What are your nerdy interests? Tell me in the comments.