What is it about?
I survived a Zombie Apocalypse is a reality gameshow from the UK set six months into a zombie apocalypse caused by 5G. Twelve contestants have to survive for seven days in an old shopping center before they are to be rescued by the army and sent to a safe place called quarantine. It wasn’t very clear when you watch the show, but the contestants would win a trip to the Maldives if they survived long enough to be rescued. While waiting to be rescued, they would go on missions to receive food, water and other supplies that are vital to their survival.
- I thoroughly enjoyed the show. No matter how many times I’ve seen it, I still feel the suspense whenever the contestants go on a mission.
- It looks like the producers had fun with the show. In between missions, they would have PSA’s called PANTZ that explained certain things to the audience about the different types of zombies, and other things about this post-apocalyptic world. They also had Greg James act as a T.V. host and commentator for the show. This made the show less scary and more enjoyable. It gave the show MTV vibes.
- Unfortunately, there’s only one season. I really wish there was more. Zombies were very popular in 2015, especially when it’s on the heels of The Walking Dead.
- I think that this show would have – and still might – done well here in the US. Again, when it’s on the heels of a hit like The Walking Dead, the fans would jump at the chance to be in something so similar to their favorite show. Heck, I’D jump at the chance to be on this show even though I’d be a nervous reck the whole time.
- The contestants were relatable. The producers picked people that were easy to like and to root for. Their interactions didn’t seem scripted at all. The only scripted thing for the contestants were their death scenes, which you can tell that they had fun with.
- One of the contestants, Megan Oxtoby, has a YouTube channel. She has a few videos explaining the process of getting onto the show and how life was afterwards. Here is a link to her playlist about the show: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAofwvj6fjzZkaPWVTRnh6HGrq-tH1VMy
- Speaking of YouTube, you can watch episodes 1-5 clearly on the entertainment channel. Here’s a link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEDYzEleFFCfpfEfD3Py05A/search?query=i+survived+a+zombie+apocalypse
- The rest of the episodes are not on YouTube, or at least not in great quality. For the rest of the series, you can go to dailymotion. Here’s the link: https://www.dailymotion.com/search/i%20survived%20a%20zombie%20apocalypse/videos
- There is also a website specifically for I Survived a Zombie Apocalypse where you can find extra content such as interviews, full audition videos and behind the scenes videos. Here’s the link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02hfpfg
All in all, I really enjoyed the show. I would highly recommend this show to all zombie lovers. What are you doing? I provided the links, now go watch it!